Friday 2 July 2010

A few weeks ago we received the invitation adorned with 50 year old and present day photographs of my elder brother, Ross and his wife, Alice and the added words, "No presents, please." I liked that bit (what with the current high price of gold etc...!!).

It turned out to be a real good old fashioned farming (mainly) community get together with a huge meal, an accordion band, lots of old-time Scottish dancing and everyone dressed in their "Sunday best". I think what I enjoyed most was chatting to people, some of whom I haven't seen for 10 years or more but I did put my foot in it when I asked my cousin, seated at table next to me, who the gentleman was, seated opposite her. He seemed a little left out of the conversation and I thought that if she knew his name we could include him. "That's my husband," she replied. I'd forgotten she had remarried!

Another cousin, Neil, gave a little speech and proposed the toast to the happy couple but he did make one gaffe. He referred to the wedding 50 years ago, as their funeral! I don't think it was intentional. However he related how my father had been a bit annoyed when the day of the wedding dawned bright and sunny--perfect for haymaking. Who in their right mind got married at haytime!

Chic very gamely accompanied me, hampered as he was with his multi coloured chest and shoulder injury.

2 comments:

Gail said...

A golden celebration.

Anonymous said...

It is shocking how time flies. This is 50 years for us too and it really isn't believable (spelling?), except at about 6.30 am when dogs want out and every one of those 50 years is felt!