Monday 29 December 2008

A day up north.

A few days before Christmas I received word that my last remaining aunt had died at the age of 88 and her cremation is tomorrow at a converted church near Buckie, on the Moray Firth coast. It will be an early start for us, 6am in fact, as the service is at 10am. My cousin told me it was either that time or some other into the New Year!......the effect a few days holiday has on a dying trade: there will be a backlog!
Most of yesterday and today I spent scouring the internet for a new, better, more sophisticated, but hopefully, not too complicated for an amateur, camera. Finally, on the advice of an expert friend, I selected one of the makes she had named as having a good reputation, took the plunge and pressed the "buy" button. It seemed like a bit of a bargain when I checked the shop prices but we'll wait and see..... I'm desperate to try it out......wish I had it for tomorrow.........not for the actual cremation!...for the scenery on the journey.
Actually, I'm looking forward to meeting some of my cousins that I haven't seen for ages, we only seem to meet up at funerals these days as weddings seem to be out of fashion now in our family. I now know why, when I was a child, I would hear some old people saying they had been to a "rare old funeral".

No comments: