Thursday 12 March 2009

Adelaide

We had a very short trip to the city on the forenoon of my departure to UK. It was originally intended to be a full day visit, with little Andrew, who would have hated the experience, being back at nursery again, but we had just discovered the previous evening that my flight was in fact leaving in the early afternoon. Luckily I'm not much of a "shopping "person but I did want to see some of the shops selling opals, the national gem of Australia. I am particularly fond of them and managed to buy a very small one as I always seem to be on a tight budget, unless I really need something....like food! No prizes for guessing my nationality!
The CBD has very modern architecture and the heat in the streets with these towering structures was suffocating.
It is truly a beautiful city with all its many parks and recreational areas. Small wonder the Australians excel at sport.
Obviously, we made it to the airport with time to spare and Julie and Ian, although not travelling, were able to come through security and right to the departure gate to see me off. It's the only airport I've been to which allows this.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Do I detect a hint of nostalgia, Anne? It must have been hard to leave it all.