Friday 30 January 2009

Packing


This was the scene in the corner of the bedroom as I was packing for my forthcoming visit to Australia. I think that access to the internet has made me all the more panicky about the whole affair. Apparently, Australia is very fussy about what you can and cannot take into the country.I've print-outs from various sites re banned substances, medicines etc. and have a wallet packed full of such information. Then there are all the rules which apply to the amount and dimensions of your luggage, (1) for the cabin (called carry-on baggage) and (2) for the hold (called checked baggage), and each airline has its own set of rules re the dimensions. Unfortunately I will be on both BA and Quantas, so it's been even more confusing for me. Then there is the question of what to wear for the journey as the forecast for the beginning, at least, of next week is for more very cold weather and snow in our eastern areas. Phone calls from Julie in Adelaide tell me that they are experiencing a heatwave at the moment and it is likely to continue for at least another week, with their temperatures reaching the high 40s! Will I survive? Will I ever be able to go outdoors? I visualize myself coming home as white as when I left home, despite having packed all my hot weather gear and even investing in a couple of sundresses...just remembered...my clip -on sunspecs are in the car! I'm not taking my lightweight anorak but have stuffed in my red, plastic poncho, in case it rains. I AM Scottish (and British) after all!!!! I just don't seem to be able to shake off this mentality.
Whilst we have experienced 2 long-haul flights before, my husband was accompanying me then but this time I'm "flying solo" so, if you see anything on the TV news about a poor old soul with a Royal Canin rucksack found wandering aimlessly around Singapore airport, wearing flight socks and clutching a chunky cardigan, you'll know it will most likely be me! I leave on Wednesday next week.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

jrl said...

This week the max temps have been - M - 38, T - 46, W - 45, T - 43, F - 42 with night temps not falling below 32!
Next week is forcasting more of the same!

Anonymous said...

I think you will need a cabin trunk for that lot, Anne! (Just joking!) I'll keep my fingers crossed for a trouble free journey and a very enjoyable break. I'll also keep my fingers crossed for Chic and dogs and I'm looking forward to some fantastic posts on the blog when you come back, but how on earth will you cope with the hundreds of emails which will await your return?