Friday 9 January 2009

Romans, Picts and King Nechtan.

What started off as a dog walk in a biting wind, today ended up a local history lesson. I came up the wynd past the Tower to take some photos then did a little bit of research into the history of the village.
The first sign of habitation in the area was the Roman Fort on top of Castle Law, dating from about 209AD, of which quite a bit can still be seen. The Pictish Stone was found in part of the foundations of a house and is thought to date back to about 600AD. It is now incorporated into the wall adjoining the Tower.
The Pictish King Nechtan IV founded an ecclesiastical centre here and in the 12th century
it was a major centre for the Culdee Monks. The only remaining signs of any of this is the little tearoom called Culdees and a house called Nechtan.
The interesting iron "necklace" on a stout iron chain, fixed securely to the wall of the Tower, might deter some of the local tearaways if still in use!
I must pay a visit to the small museum in School Wynd when it opens for the summer months.

2 comments:

Gennasus said...

I knew I'd learn stuff from blogging! It could never be called a waste of time.
I'm back!!! Actually fit enough to sit in front of a computer at last!

Marian said...

I ought to come with you. Still need to research my Abernethy ancestors