Thursday 27 November 2008

Quick, get the car out!

Disaster after disaster today, not on the scale of what has happened in India but bad enough for me. I usually make sponges for our Scottish Papillon Club show and it is on Saturday, so I bought all the ingredients yesterday and the baking began this forenoon. I used to have a big electric mixer but it has been in the "baking utensil care home" for a couple of years now and I am reduced to a SMALL food processor which I find is not nearly so good for making sponges. Four single Victoria sponges went into the double ovens and came out looking o.k. but on cooling it was evident they could not be seen in public. More caster sugar, soft margarine and eggs were required, so it was off to the neighbouring village as our shop was closed till 3pm. This time I mixed by hand and , so far, on cooling, they look fine but I will be a bit nervous till they are cut open. The fatless sponges are no problem as I use a small hand held whisk.

I still have all the filling and decoration to do but that is the easy bit.

The "piece de resistance" is a pavlova for part of the judge's lunch, which looks real fancy but is so simple to make.

Chic and I have made inroads on the total disasters, which look awful but the taste is passable.

The dogs have still to be washed but that will have to wait until tomorrow...late-ish!!!..and I'm having visitors!

No comments: