Top end of Kirk Wynd.
Looking up School Wynd with the old school,(now a housing development) on the right and the ancient round tower where king Malcolm III and William The Conqueror signed the Treaty of Abernethy stating that Scotland was indeed, subserviant to England!!
There has been a settlement here from very early times as the unearthing, during building work, of a pictish stone bearing symbols proves. A Roman fort has remains on the Law (hill) at the back of the village and at one time it was an ecclesiastical centre with a cathedral!...and the name has absolutely nothing to do with Abernethy biscuits, but probably more to do with a corruption of two gaelic words "Obair Nechtan" meaning the work of Nechtan, who was a Pictish king.
The "Main" street runs through the centre of the old village and was certainly never designed for large vehicles as it twists and turns through the old houses. There is now a newer, wider , straighter road which avoids this part.
In 1909 there were 2 bakers, 7 grocers,1 butcher, 2 drapers, 2 tailors, 4 dressmakers and 3 boot and shoemakers.
Tradesman were well represented, with 5 joiners and cabinetmakers and a blacksmith.
Also present were 5 coal merchants,1 miller to provide corn, 3 cattle dealers and 6 spirit (liquid) dealers!
To find out much more detail click here.
Now we have 1 newsagent, 1 general store and a visiting Post Office van, which doesn't sell postal orders! There are 2 pubs. and probably several tradesmen of various types.
The village itself has grown considerably in size with several new housing estates and the new primary school is still not big enough for the influx of children from all the additional housing.
To see more interesting stories of the world of other people farther afield click here.